Sunday, October 08, 2006

The inspiration to write....

Years ago, when I was at university, my good friend K and I had a plan that we would make our fortune writing Mills and Boon books! Well of course we never did, she went into the Civil Service and I became a Chartered Accountant, we both got married, had kids and no time to write. From time to time I would take a book on creative writing out of the library but never actually got round to putting anything on paper.

Two years ago K died of breast cancer, just a few days short of her 45th birthday. She had achieved a lot in her life, but never wrote. It made me realise that life is too short not to follow your dreams. Encouraged by a new friend, whose life was also touched by cancer in the past, I enrolled on my first OU writing course, enjoyed it so much that I did two more ( and a computer course on how to do research) and now I have a new aim of getting published and hopefully doing an MA one day.

I'm doing it for both of us, K....

No comments: