Monday, December 31, 2007

Farewell to 2007

My last blog post of the year.

It has been a strange, yet also life-affirming, year and right at the end, things seem to be coming together, especially in respect of the writing.

I think I know where I am heading.

I have finally realised (or accepted ?) that to get published you have to take risks and put your work out there. That the novel is not going to be written quickly, because that is not the way I work yet, despite the support from the lovely Novel Racers. So to keep my interest and have work to submit I also need to work on smaller pieces at the same time. Write them, send them out into the world and get back to the novel.

Today I have written a poem.
I may submit it to a competition.
That is a start.

Three best of the year:

1. Book - In Search of Adam by Caroline Smailes. Gritty, inventive and deeply haunting. If you haven't read it yet, look out for the forthcoming paperback.

2. Music - Back to Black by Amy Winehouse. I can't get the title song out of my head.

3. Moment - receiving the email telling me that my flash fiction had been accepted for the Your Messages anthology.


Wishing you all a very happy, healthy and successful New Year. Here's to 2008!

10 comments:

Casdok said...

Good luck with the poem in the competition! I have loved the poems of yours that i have read!
Yes farewll to 2007, and may 2008 be good to you!
Love Cas and C x

Sue said...

Well done for having your flash fiction accepted.

Happy New Year. Have a brilliant 2008.

Sue xx

Anonymous said...

Ah, I see you had a flash fiction piece accepted. Well done. Novels take so long and then most of them don't get published anyway. In the mean time keep working at your flash fiction. I'v had thirty pieces of FF published so far. And you know what, those flash fiction pieces will make you a better novelist.

Anonymous said...

I am going to have a go at FF myself in the new year, together with submitting short stories again. Good luck with it all and very best wishes for 2008.

Crystal xx

Anne Brooke said...

Happy New Year, Cathy - and submit that poem!

Hugs

:))

A
xxx

Jenny Beattie said...

Really well done on the flash fiction, Cathy. You're so right about getting it out there - oh goodness, so scary though.

All the best for 2008.

JJx

Cathy said...

Casdok...thanks!

Sue...hope you all have a grat year too.

Guy...Welcome! 30 pieces of flash fiction published is very impressive.

Crystal...we'll have to encourage each other.

Anne...I'm still polishing the poem, but I think I will submit it.

JJ...thanks and wishing you a wonderful 2008 too.

Cx

Yvonne said...

Congratulations on your flash fiction acceptance! May 2008 be your best year yet.

Viki Lane said...

Wishing you a rewarding and successful 2008!

Caroline said...

Thank you so much and Happy happy New Year.
I hope that all of your dreams come true. You deserve every happiness.
x