Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Booker longlist

The longlist for this year's Booker Prize has just been announced. I've read only one of them, What was Lost, though I do also want to read the McEwan, as I have enjoyed what I have read of his work so far.

I was interested in this article, and in particular this quote:

Last night the chair of judges, Sir Howard Davies, said: "All the books chosen are well crafted and will appeal to a wide readership." Sir Howard is director of the London School of Economics.

I'm glad that the books chosen should appeal to a wide readership because being well written and being accessible to the general reader should not be mutually exclusive. That is one of my pet topics I'm afraid. I don't like overly dry or intellectual books but at the same time I do find that quite a lot of popular fiction can be simplistic and poorly written.

'What was Lost' was entertaining and definitely well crafted, yet also remarkably easy to read. It has received very good blog reviews, such as this one by dovegreyreader and has been described by some as a crossover novel with appeal to both the adult and young adult markets in the manner of Meg Rosoff and JK Rowling.

I am ashamed to say I haven't even heard of the rest of the longlist. Ho hum!

Three notable things:

1. Hearing the singer Jack Savoretti, a singer new to me, on TV yesterday and later downloading his album cheaply.

2. An interesting conversation with son 1's therapist yesterday.

3. Finding that the magnetic bracelet, recently bought to help my arthritis, actually seems to be having a beneficial effect on my mood and is making me feel calmer. Not an easy achievement during school holiday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think therapists can be interesting when they want to be. I must find one. Magnetic bracelets; glad it seems to be helping you.

Crystal xx

Joanna said...

Hi Cathy, just to let you know The Runaway Writer is no more! Just thought I'd let you know so you can remove the dead link. I will of course keep popping in to read your adventures - love the new pic by the way, very cute!

Cathy said...

Thanks for letting me know Joanna.I had visited you very recently, but have now removed the link from my blogroll.

Hope all is well with you.

Cx

merry weather said...

I like Jack Savoretti Cathy - sounds like Neil Diamond used to - have just downloaded Dreamers - Thanks for that!

Cathy said...

Merry you are right, Jack Savoretti does have a touch of Neil Diamond. Dreamers is lovely...when I heard it on the album it seemed familiar, so I'm not sure if it has been used on TV somewhere?