Thursday, May 17, 2007

Literary lists

I don't ususually take much notice of lists of books in the papers, but there have been two interesting book lists in The Times over the last two days.

Today's list comprises 'The 25 writers tipped to be literary lions of the future'.

Well, a couple of these I have read and loved - Jon McGregor and, of course, one of my favourites, Maggie O'Farrell.

Two more I have in my 'to be read soon' pile - Marina Lewycka and Naomi Alderman.

A few others I am aware of and interested in finding out more about - Charlotte Mendelson, Susanna Clarke and Jane Harris.

The others, to be honest, I don't think I have ever heard of.

Yesterday's list was of the 'Top 160 books for teenage boys'. Sadly, reading is not considered cool and far too many boys (including my own) never read for pleasure. Anything that can possibly help parents to find books which have appeal to the Playstation generation, is to be welcomed.

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

Hi Cathy, thanks for the list. Stephen King and science fiction (such as Bruce Sterling and William Gibson) worked for my brother, and I just came across The Giver last week which I thought was amazing!

beta mum said...

I saw that article - lots I hadn't heard of too.
My son loves reading at the moment (he's 8) but I'm worried he may stop when he's older, or take to doing it in secret.
It's such a shame as there are loads of books out there to enjoy.
A friend of mine has a teenaged reluctant reader, and he really likes a horror writer called Darren Shan. Might be worth a try?