Monday, August 09, 2010

Reading and reviewing

Despite the fact that I co-founded a book blog, I rarely post reviews on here and recently I started to wonder why. I came up with the following reasons:

- I like to take time to digest a newly-published book, rather than immediately writing about it. As a result so many other people will already have reviewed it, that I often feel my views would add nothing new.

- I don't have a background in English Literature, so I don't feel entirely confident in my ability to comment on the literary quality of the work of others, even more so since I discovered for myself how difficult it actually is to write good fiction.

- As a linguist, however, I do tend to judge a book as much on the beauty and readability of the language as on the story itself. The craft of writing is also important and I sometimes inadvertently find myself thinking show not tell, or something similar. I seem to have started to read like a writer and I fear it may sometimes make me a little over-critical.

Oh dear, that all sounds rather pretentious, doesn't it? But it isn't really, it's just showing my own insecurities as a reader (and writer).

Anyway, just in case you all think I'm not really reading at all, I'm going to start remedying the lack of interesting posts on here this summer by occasionally throwing in some quick comments on books I've recently read.

Come back soon to find out what I've enjoyed.

7 comments:

Paul said...

I think my reasons for rarely reviewing books on my humble blog are the same as yours.

Nonetheless, I am eager to learn what you're reading and what you think about it.

Talli Roland said...

I'm intrigued now! I'll be back soon...

Queenie said...

I find reviewing books quite difficult myself. I try to write reviews for my friends' books but worry that one day, someone I am fond of will write a book that I think is total crap. Maybe it'll never happen. I certainly hope not.

Cathy said...

Paul - I hope you won't be disappointed. The first few are UK published books, but no doubt available via Amazon across the pond.

Talli - see you soon ;)

Queenie - yes that would be hard. I won't write negative reviews, I think there's always something positive which can be found. So I'd better not send you my book when it's published... (See what I did there? Believe!)

Catherine said...

Hi Cathy, Thanks for your comment, but no need to worry. It was an old post that had been in my draft folder for ages, and got published while I was trying to sort out my blog at the weekend. Keep in touch.

Cathy said...

Ah, that's a relief, Marianne :)

Anonymous said...

I have never done a review on my blog even though I've mentioned a few websites once or twice and hoped I've promoted them in some way - for no pay!!

I enjoy reading but I do also read very often as if I'm writing too. I think it's just natural if you're a writer yourself.

CJ xx