Monday, February 15, 2010

Taking a break

No, not from here!

But I did take a break from my editing over the weekend. Partly because I had lots of other things to do, but also partly because I felt I needed to get a little distance from the novel. I've been making very good progress on this first run through, but that does mean I'm now editing sections I've written more recently, since I was ill last summer, so I've only had three or four months break from them. That should be enough, but is it?

My writing style changed a little as the novel progressed. I think in the early stages I was conscious of an OU tutor sitting on my shoulder and as a result the writing came out a little self conscious, over-written even. I hope that the tweaks I've made, initially after Caroline's edits and now in this full edit will improve the balance between the two halves of the book.

But I won't know until I get to the end.

6 comments:

Queenie said...

Sounds to me as if you're doing great. And a short break never hurts - the writing process seems to carry on, somehow, somewhere in the back of the brain.

Cathy said...

Thank you :)
I think I am doing fine, my biggest worry now is actually over-editing!
Cx

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I think it does us good to have a break every so often. Although, it's a little more often than not with me!

Marcie Steele said...

Cathy, I always do something different about half way through any draft. It's as if my mind thinks of something new. I do it sometimes on the second draft. I think writing is a learning curve with every draft. Keep on keeping on xx

HelenMWalters said...

A change is as good as a rest x

Cathy said...

Debs and Helen: :)

L-Plate: I'm so glad it's not just me! Writing a whole novel has been such a learning curve after short stories.

Cx