Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Marian Keyes

I was sorry to read that best-selling author Marian Keyes is suffering from severe depression.

I've been lucky enough never to have suffered from clinical 'black dog' depression myself. I have, however, cared for someone who did suffer for several years and I know how devastating an illness it can be. It is far, far more debilitating than the reactive variety, following perhaps a difficult life event, which is suffered by many people with a diagnosis of depression.

Marian has always been brave enough to raise awareness by talking publicly about her alcoholism and other mental health issues. I hope that she is receiving the medical treatment and therapy that she clearly needs at present.

6 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Poor Marian - she's always been so honest about things like this, which can only help both herself and others. I wish her well and a speedy recovery. It's a terrible illness.

Axxx

Beth said...

It's horrible.

The honesty of her post reminded me of this - I hope she's able to recover as well.

HelenMWalters said...

I heard a radio interview with her a while ago and she sounds absolutely lovely. May she feel much better really soon.

CC Devine said...

Yes, it's very brave of her to speak so publicly about her battle but I think that this is what makes her so likeable as well as her writing being so humourous despite tackling some heavy subjects.

Jenny Beattie said...

Oh poor woman. I've had reactive depression (never heard it called that before) and I wouldn't wish it on anyone...

Cathy said...

JJ, I may be wrong in saying that reactive depression is always less severe than what I call 'clinical depression'. I'm not an expert but I know when I've had it I could certainly still function, even though.

If anyone is interested there is more information here:

http://www.depressionalliance.org/help-and-information/depression-terms.php