Tuesday, January 16, 2007

London bombers who failed

The trial of the 21/7 bombing suspects, which started in London this week, has reminded me to draw your attention to the blog by Rachel from North London which I have recently added to my links.

I first came across Rachel North's writing in the immediate aftermath of the 7/7 bombings in 2005, when her moving and measured blog descriptions of the experience of being a victim of the bombers were picked up by the BBC web news and for me became a 'must read'. Then I read her piece in the Sunday Times. I only found this newer blog quite recently when searching for something else. Attracted by the title, as in all my years in London I have only lived north of the river, I found it was by the same writer. I will be interested to see what she ultimately has to say about the current legal proceedings once they have finished.

Although nobody I know was actually a physical victim of the 7/7 bombings, most Londoners know of at least one person who was in the vicinity and could so easily have been caught up in it all (in my case two... a friend and a neighbour) and the psychological effects were felt by everyone. Hubby works not too far from Kings Cross, though rarely travels by tube, and that day I received phone calls from both an estranged family member and an old friend who had himself been bereaved six months earlier, just to check he was not involved. Meanwhile I was watching it all unfold on the TV news, the terror attack that we had anticipated since 9/11 had finally arrived and for a few hours the city was incapacitated. To know that had things gone differently it could all have happened again on 21/7 is chilling.

3 comments:

wenchaomao said...

I have seen your blog and I found a lot of interesting Content... So good image and some good art... I invite you to see mine at here

Rachel said...

Thank you very much for linking to my blog! It's always nice to find fellow blogging North Londoners

Cathy said...

Thanks for visiting, Rachel!