Tuesday, December 02, 2008

A Warning

There seems to be a new virus around called Actns/Swif.T which comes through embedded YouTube videos in blogs and elsewhere.

I first came upon it this morning on someone else's blog, when my antivirus highlighted it and deleted it. I was shocked to find my blog was also affected this evening.

I am gradually working back and removing all the YouTube embeds, fortunately I don't have too many, but it is possible you may encounter this virus on an older page here or elsewhere. Google it for more info, I'm not techie enough to understand the implications should it get past your antivirus.

Update: It appears that the situation is not as serious as it seemed. Although it is a very real virus and nasty if you click on the link it delivers, apparently yesterday Computer Associates antivirus, which I have, was throwing up false positives on any page containing embedded YouTube videos. They seem to have fixed their virus definitions now. But still watch out for the virus!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the warning :) I guess I'm lucky in that I've never been able to embed youtube on my blog, never could figure out how to do it but I'll watch out for it on other blogs.

HelenMWalters said...

Blimey - sounds worrying! You Tube stuff won't play on my computer anyway so I hope that means I'm safe.

Jenny Beattie said...

Thanks Cathy. I'm going to check it out now.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this. Virus's are nasty things - had one on my pc last year and it cost me a fortune to put right.

CJ xx